about me

My photo
i am a dreamer, an idealist, a creator, an introvert, a thinker, and an all-around neat person...if i do say so myself.

16 November 2007

god grew tired of us


i know that i frequently write about the various documentaries that i've seen, and then say that you all need to see them. well, this time i mean it. i just finished watching god grew tired of us, and believe that everyone needs to see it, if you haven't already.

a little historical background....the current civil war in sudan began in 1987, which created an entire generation of thousands of orphaned 'lost boys' who have been living in refugee camps first in ethiopia and now in kenya for the past 20 years. the US has allowed some of them to emmigrate to america, and this documentary followed 3 of them for several years.

seeing our culture through the eyes of these young men who had never previously seen electricity or running water or pre-packaged food made me feel ungrateful.
seeing these young men appreciating things as simple as having a minimum-wage job and a kitchen full of food made me feel unapreciative.
seeing these young men completely confused about how we celebrate christmas, when 'isn't christmas about celebrating the birth of jesus christ?' made me feel trivial.
seeing these young men scrape by to get an education so they could go back to sudan and help those people they had left behind made me feel superficial.

it breaks my heart to see any of God's children living in such a horrible situation, and gives me a glimpse into how His heart breaks. it also frustrates me to know that i am not in any position to do anything to help. the american way is to just throw money at a problem, but i want to go and do. someday i will. someday.

2 comments:

alissa j. said...

rad, this is one i've been meaning to see, one that i know will make me emotional. if you want to go to africa i've got some connections.

ThePuertoRicanSlant said...

If you want you can give me this for Christmas...because I am your favorite Puerto Rican friend!
Mike



Click to view my Personality Profile page