about me

My photo
i am a dreamer, an idealist, a creator, an introvert, a thinker, and an all-around neat person...if i do say so myself.

28 August 2008

business

anybody who has spent any length of time around me, or who has read this blog at all will know that i love to bake. cooking is alright, but if it involves flour and eggs and butter, i am in love.
what i love even more is to see my friends and family enjoy what i have created.

my friends have recently been harassing me about opening up a shop to start selling my tasty treats. i have a few rebuttals for them.
1. bakeries start working at about 3 am to make the day's edibles. that's about when i like to go to bed.
2. owning your own business is a 24/7 endeavor. i like to travel.
3. i would have no idea where to start, and riverside is notorious for demolishing small, creative, independent businesses.
4. the idea of owning my own business frankly scares the crap out of me.

that being said, i must admit that i've been toying with the idea for the past few days.
i've been thinking of where i would look for retail space, what the design would be like, what to call my little shop, what equipment i would need, how to advertise, and menu items.
jon can take care of the graphic design, and marissa will design me a sweet interior.

this isn't something i'm going to go out and try to do any time soon, but it is definitely somthing to think about when its time to come up with my next 2 year plan.
i think i'll spend the time until then experimenting with recipes.
i'm also thinking that doing research at european pastry shops would probably be a good idea, too.

(oh, steve and mike. you can keep trying, but i won't ever answer to cookie. you'll need to come up with something better than that.)

7 comments:

ThePuertoRicanSlant said...

That's what I'm talking about Cookie...Since I brought this upon you I will help you brain storm ideas...I love creating in this fashion. Delectable treats here we come!!!

Steve, Karen, Delaney, & Jude Dunlap said...

yes, yes, yes! We are behind this idea 100%. And if you need us to be taste testers, give us a ring.

escamillaweddings said...

dude...what you need to do is hire a kick ass manager who will hire a kick ass baker and then you don't have to be there 24/7.

and i want to photograph the food shots for your website and whatnot.

i discovered a cute little place here called ooh la la cupcakes and i plan to go there today to have a "happy birthday cash" cupcake! :)

Anonymous said...

Like i said....you go girl...we are backing you up on this...and i still cannot think of that name i thought up ages ago for your shop...hmmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

have you never heard of gourmet cookie? no i don't mean frosted sesame street designs the size of your head ... i'm talking oatmeal cranberry walnut (maybe a smidge of coconut) gourmet.

alissa j. said...

brilliant.
well...i am studying international business to help people like you...
meaning studying european pastry shops in europe could be a tax write off.
for now consider baking for a restaurant that doesn't currently offer a dessert menu or selling at a farmer's market.

ellieherrity said...

thanks for all the words of encouragement, everyone. its just going to take patience until i can get all the pieces together.

step one: find a way to take some gourmet baking classes.

step two: start selling at the farmer's market.

we'll see after that.



Click to view my Personality Profile page