about me

My photo
i am a dreamer, an idealist, a creator, an introvert, a thinker, and an all-around neat person...if i do say so myself.

16 January 2008

artwork

i've had this idea for probably over a year now for a series. i wanted to combine a few techniques i enjoy into a new style and at the same time explore the subject of memory. or sometimes lack thereof.
but that pesky little critical voice in my head always seemed to get in the way.
then a couple months ago i had a conversation with bill catling that was short and simple, but ended up being a huge epiphany.
he said something to the point of - "you will never get that voice to go away, no matter how hard you try. what you need to do is tell it that you would really like to hear what it has to say, but you just don't have time at the moment. could we talk about it later?"
so that's exactly what i said to my voice.
and we just never got back to the conversation.
it still tries, but i keep putting it off. and i'm much happier when i don't listen to it.
so this afternoon i finished the first in what i hope is a long series.
this is the first time in several years that i've made something not because i was trying to put together a portfolio for grad school applications and not because i had a show coming up, but purely because i wanted to make it.
and it felt really good.
here's a not-so-great photo of my newest creation.


2 comments:

TimB said...

I know those people.

alissa j. said...

the best way to make art. or do anything. because you want to.
i'm into something like that now with being creative. it's more of a "do it now before i can forget or talk myself out of it" thing.



Click to view my Personality Profile page