about me

My photo
i am a dreamer, an idealist, a creator, an introvert, a thinker, and an all-around neat person...if i do say so myself.

17 January 2008

running

i have a very on-again, off-again relationship with exercising, and with running in particular. i love to run. i love how i feel while i'm running. i love how i feel when i'm done running. i just have a tendency to love it so much that i ignore it when my knees start to tell me that it's time to stop. i can be stubborn that way.

so the relationship always starts out well, with me running my little heart out and feeling great. then i forget that i'm no longer 20 years old and i go too far, too fast.

then the relationship starts to go downhill. after a week, sometimes more, i push myself a little too hard and my knees reward me with the most exquisite pain imaginable.

so of course running and i have to take a break from one another.

i pretend that i am angry at running for betraying me so badly and causing me so much pain, and i give running the cold shoulder for a length of time which is disproportionate to the severity of the injury.

but i am still in love with running.

so i always end up going back.

and the relationship cycle begins anew.

this evening i walked approximately 5k on the path that goes around my neighborhood. (i use kilometers because it looks so much more impressive.)

i have not abandoned my first love for a new one. i have just decided that i want to break my dysfunctional relationship cycle. so i am forcing myself to go slowly.

i think we can make it work this time.

2 comments:

TimB said...

Kilometers are impressive. Keep it up. I was going to run this morning but the traffic on the 91 had other ideas. There's always tomorrow.

escamillaweddings said...

word.



Click to view my Personality Profile page